Tomato-Free & Guilt-Free Pasta
August 11, 2021 • 0 comments
Looking for a way to enjoy a classic favorite without feeling guilty about it? Try this tomato free pasta sauce made with a smorgasbord of vegetables topped on spaghetti squash- our favorite alternative to traditional noodles. Add in some of our grass-finished ground beef for a nutrient dense meal that tastes delish as well! Cred for this tasty kitchen inspo: Jessica Jarratt
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Servings: 2
- (1) Cooked Spaghetti Squash, Halved and Seeded
- (1) Chopped Onion
- (4) Chopped Garlic Cloves
- (1 Cup) Carrots, cut into 1/2 in. pieces
- (2) Medium Cubed Sweet Potatoes (~4 cups)
- (3 Tbsp.) Water or Broth
- (1 Tbsp.) Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- (1) Roasted Red Bell Pepper
- (1/3 Cup) Oil of Choice
- (1 (8 oz.) Can) Beets
- (1 Tbsp.) Tapioca, Arrowroot, or Corn Starch
- (Optional) Fresh Italian Herbs
- (1 lb.) Ground Beef - 85% Lean
- (For garnish- optional) Fresh Microgreens
- In a large stock pot, sauté the onion and garlic in a little oil until it's just starting to brown.
- In a separate pan, sauté the ground beef until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Add carrots, diced sweet potatoes, water, balsamic vinegar, and salt, then cover with water (just enough to barely cover).
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 mins until the carrots and sweet potatoes are very soft. Add the roasted red pepper.
- While the pot is boiling, use a fork to shred the spaghetti squash into a bowl and set aside.
- Blend the contents of the pot in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Add the oil also during the blending.
- The sauce should have a slightly running consistency (you will add starch in the coming steps that will thicken it). If the sauce seems too thick, add some water. If too runny, simmer simmer it awhile to thicken. Add browned ground beef here.
- Puree the contents of the can of beets (liquid included) and the starch in a blender until very smooth. Add Italian herbs into the blender.)
- Add the beet mixture back to the pot and simmer for about 5 mins more or until ready to serve.
- Dish out spaghetti squash and top with your tomato free sauce. Top with garnish and enjoy!