- (1 tablespoon ) Canola or olive oil
- (1) Large onion, diced
- (4 cloves) Garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- (1.5 tablespoons) Fresh ginger, minced
- (1 handful) Shredded carrots, optional
- Freshly ground pepper
- (1 teaspoon) Turmeric
- (1/4 teaspoon) Garam masala
- (1/2 teaspoon) Smoked Paprika
- (1 ) Large tomato, diced
- (2 tablespoons) Ketchup
- (1 pkg. sliced about 1/16-inch thick) Beef Garlic Franks (Sugar-Free)
- (1/4 cup) Water, if necessary
- (1 handful) Cilantro leaves, minced
Heat the oil, in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, until shimmering.
Add the onions, garlic, ginger and carrots (if using) and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Saute until onions are softened and slightly brown around the edges, about 5 minutes.
Add the turmeric, garam masala* and paprika, quickly stirring for about 20 seconds to keep the spices from burning.
Stir in the tomatoes and ketchup, and taste for seasoning; adding more salt and pepper, if needed.
Add hot dog rounds, stirring to cover them with the tomato mixture.
Add 1/4 cup of water if the mixture is too dry.
Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Taste and season accordingly.
Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and transfer the mixture to a serving bowl.
Serve in a pita pocket or with rice.
(Recipe adapted from Food Network's Hot Dogs a la Rose by Aarti Sequeira)