- (10-12 drumsticks) Chicken Drumsticks
- (12 oz. chopped) Pork Bacon (Smoked)
- (1 large onion chopped) Yellow Onion
- (6 cloves, minced) Garlic
- (to taste) Salt
- (to taste) Pepper
- (1/3 cup) Cognac
- (2 cups) Cabernet Sauvignon
- (3 cups) Large Pastured Chicken Broth
- (1 can) Tomato Paste
- (4 tsp.) Balsamic Vinegar
- (2 Tbsp.) 1# Honey
- (1 Tbsp.) Fresh Thyme
- (1 Tbsp.) Fresh Rosemary
- (4, coarsely chopped) Carrots
- (1# of your choosing) Mushrooms
- (6 Tbsp.) Butter
- (use to desired consistency) Flour
- (2) Bay Leaf
Use a Dutch oven over medium heat to cook the chopped bacon. Once cooked, remove the bacon (save for later) but leave the grease.
Increase the heat and sear the chicken drumsticks until skin is brown. Set the chicken aside until later.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the chopped onion. When they start to soften, add the garlic. Cook for a couple more minutes.
Add the cognac and scrape the browned onions and garlic into the liquid. Cook for a few minutes before adding the wine, broth, balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, honey, thyme, bay leaves, and some salt.
Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the chicken and carrots into the Dutch oven. After 10 minutes add the butter and mushrooms.
Keep cooking uncovered and add flour if needed. Basically, we are looking for a chicken & gravy consistency.
Cook for a max of a half hour after chicken is added back in.
Cook longer if you have time, the flavor only gets better!